Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Well so this is it-the holiday dreaded by so many around the world (most men, all single people, and all the women who don't receive a gift today) has arrived. I am happy to report that here in Amsterdam, Valentine's Day is celebrated but not in the traditional, over-commercialized American way. It's more of a subtle, here are some flowers for sale should you choose to buy them, sort of way. It's a very nice change! In honor of Valentine's Day-and because it's been a week since I've written and some people are probably thinking I'm dead-I am dedicating this blog to all the people at home who love me enough to read every e-mail, blog post, and Facebook update that I share with them. I feel especially loved by all of you who continue to contact me even though I can be slow in responding. This is my gift to you all. Happy Valentine's Day!

1. I love you Mom so very much and I love every e-mail you send me. I actually feel that through this exchange we have talked more frequently than we do when I am at school.
2. I love Skype and the way it enables me to see all of you and occasionally contact my sister since she is the hardest person on earth to reach! I love that Carly and Marli are coming to visit me and I am so excited to show the two of you around! I am also excited that you will get to meet all my friends!
3. I love all the people I am meeting here and thank all of you at home for being so encouraging through prayers and support.
4. I love my cousins and the way that sometimes I feel they are like siblings to me! Jenna I heard you are reading this to Grandma and I really appreciate that. David, I appreciate the fact that you are probably the one who prints out these blog posts since Jenna can struggle with technology at times. I also love the song that  the two of you sang to me and I still giggle when I think about it. Justin, Achy Breaky Heart just played on my iTunes and I thought of you! I hope that I cross your mind from time to time as well! I really do miss you all and our family get togethers! To my other three cousins: Drake, Sage, and Cruz: I love you three so very much and miss you a lot! I especially miss you because I know you are going to look like different people when I get back! 
5. To my other faux-siblings: Sam, Lana, and Jess: I love hearing from you all through Skype/e-mail/Facebook! I also love that you all are now members of the group of people who actually enjoy Valentine's Day. Seeing you all so happy makes me happy! I think about you guys so much and constantly try to tell my new friends about you. With all the travelling I'm doing I think of Sam, Jess, and our roadtrips/adventures frequently. I hope that you can come visit and we can have another one!
6. Dad-I enjoy getting your e-mails, even when they are about practical things! I also like hearing updates about your work because I know that's what is going on with you right now! I am so happy that you get to take a break from your job and come visit me!
7. Chad-I love you for making me do this. Thank you!
8. Brandon and Akash: I think you two would be surprised how much I think of you! I creep your Facebooks-don't worry!
9. Alex: I love you and miss you so much. I hope you are managing in Cape without me! I am sorry I left you and I really want you to come visit me!!
10. Aunts and Uncles: Jim, Tracy, Shane, Stacy: I said before that I miss our family events and I'll repeat it again! I heard all about Drake's birthday party and I am sad I could not make it! My feelings might have been swayed though, as I heard it was at Walt's, so my sadness might have been at missing out on Walt's pizza more than missing out on family time. Just kidding, love you all!
11. Grandma and Pops: I miss your house, your stories, and your cooking! Send snickerdoodles with my mom! Just kidding, but I really do miss the two of you very much. I miss dropping by your house and having little chats or our lunch dates in Cape! 
12. Mother Mary, Gretchen, Julie, Nurse Lynn, Susan, and all of my mom's other friends: I love all your Facebook posts and that you read my blog. Most importantly, I love you all for keeping my mother from going insane while me, my dad, and my sister are all away! 

13. I love this city and this experience. What I love most about this exchange, thus far, is the perspective it has given me on my life and what's important. Here I am in Amsterdam, while you all are in other parts of the world: South Carolina, West Virginia, Mississippi, Illinois, Kentucky, college, work, or other places, but you all cross my mind all the time! You are all important pieces of my life and I love you very much! I feel your love, support, and encouragement even across the ocean!

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you all over the world. I hope that if you find yourself, as I do, without a Valentine today, that you are surrounded with as much love as I am! Love actually is all around you-all you have to do is look. 
From Holland with Love,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment